How to Tell if Your Air Ducts Need Cleaning in 5 Steps
OCTOBER 10, 2017
Inspecting your ducts for signs of dirt, dust & grime is important to do on a regular basis. Here are some of the signs you should look for to see if your ducts need cleaning. Cleaned ducts can have a positive impact on your families health, and will improve furnace and AC efficiency.
Do you need your ducts cleaned?
Fall is a great time to get your home ready for the winter months before we move indoors to avoid the cold and snow. With people about to spend the majority of their time inside, maintaining indoor air quality is essential to a healthy home.
When developing your list of fall to-dos, don’t forget about your ductwork. Even though you can’t see what’s hiding inside your ducts, they could be housing things like mold, fungus, pet hair, construction debris, food, small toys and other debris.
As a result, not only will the air you’re inhaling at home be unclean, the dirt and dust will restrict your HVAC system from working efficiently, causing you to use more energy to heat your home in the winter.
Here are 5 quick hints and tips that a duct cleaning may be required:
1. Pull up a vent cover and look inside. This is the easiest way to see if there’s dirt, dust, pet hair or debris built up in the registers.
2. Look at the return air registers. If there is a buildup of dirt, particularly thick, fuzzy coatings of dust, this is an indicator that a Duct Cleaning is required.
3. Pull out the air filter. Judging from the condition of the filter, this could be a telltale sign a Duct Cleaning is required. If you find it’s clogged with dust, your airflow is likely being blocked off, which causes dust to build up in the return ductwork.
[The air filter is an important piece of the ductwork in your home.]
4. Get a furnace maintenance inspection. When your Enercare Technician completes a maintenance inspection, they will tell you about the condition of the furnace. If there are large amounts of dust and dirt in the motor, fan and components, this could mean you need a duct cleaning.
5. Check your AC coil. A plugged and dirty air conditioner coil is a sign the air filter is not working and a Duct Cleaning might be required.