January 25, 2018
How to protect your home against flooding
Here are some simple tips to protect your house from flooding.
Here are several flood control fixes you can make to help prevent stormwater runoff and flash floods from damaging your home.
- Slope soil away from your home's foundation, decks and porches.
- Look for holes or cracks in your foundation and completely fill these with vinyl concrete patching.
- Clean out eavestroughs and downspouts in the fall and spring, and use downspout extensions to carry water away from your foundation.
- Plug holes or cracks in your eavestroughs, downspouts, downspout extensions and seal these with silicone caulk.
- Install a sump pump in your basement.
- Consider having a fullport backwater valve (or backflow preventer) installed onto your home's sewer line by a qualified Enercare plumber. In the event of a back-up, the valve closes to prevent water from entering your home.