November 26, 2018
Using your Enercare Smarter Home system with Smart Speakers (Google Home or Amazon Echo)
Smart speakers are voice-controlled assistants allowing you to give commands to your Enercare Smarter Home products with a single voice command. Enercare's Smarter Home products are compatible with the Amazon Echo and the Google Home. Want to check how to change the temperature or turn your living room light off? Just ask Alarm.com via the Amazon Echo or the Google Home.
How to connect to the Amazon Echo
Follow the installation instructions that come with the Amazon Echo device, then sync the device with the Enercare Smarter Home app by following these steps:
- Download the Alexa app on your iOS or Android device. Log into the Alexa app using your Amazon.com account credentials.
- To enable the Alarm.com Skill, find the Alarm.com Skill by tapping on the 'Skills' option located in the top menu within the Alexa app. Type in 'Alarm.com' and then tap 'Enable Skill'.
- Sync Alarm.com with Alexa. You'll be prompted to enter your Alarm.com account login and password to sync your account with Alexa.
How to connect to the Google Home
- Enable the Enercare Smarter Home app action by telling your Google Home "Okay Google, talk to Alarm.com".
- Open the Google Home app and enter your Enercare Smarter Home account login and password to sync your account.
- You'll have the option to create your PIN as part of the setup process.
What Commands can I use with my Smart Speakers?
It's easy to control your Enercare Smarter Home Thermostat, lights and Smart Sockets with voice commands. If you have a Google Home, you must first say "Okay Google, ask Alarm.com to..." followed by your command or question. If you have an Amazon Echo you must first say "Alexa, ask Alarm.com to..." followed by your command or question. Alarm.com either gives you a quick answer via the Amazon Echo or automatically triggers the device into action. Potential commands are listed below.
Voice Controlled Comfort
You can control the temperature of your home in a few different ways by speaking to the Amazon Echo or the Google Home. First wake the Smart Speaker by saying either "Okay Google, ask Alarm.com to..." or "Alexa, ask Alarm.com to..." followed by the command. Potential commands to check or change the temperature are listed below:
- "...what temperature is it in here?".
- "...make it warmer/cooler".
- "...to change the thermostat to 25 degrees".
Voice Controlled Lighting
You can control lights if the light or lamp is plugged into an Enercare Smarter Home Smart Socket or if you have an Enercare Smarter Home Smart Light Switch. The first step is to add a label to the light you want to control within the Enercare Smarter Home mobile app. For example, add the label 'kitchen' to the light(s) located in the Kitchen. To wake the Smart Speaker, say "Okay Google, ask Alarm.com to..." or "Alexa, ask Alarm.com to..." followed by the command. Potential commands to control the lights are listed below:
- "...to turn off the light".
- "...to turn off the living room lights". This command will turn off every light with "Living Room" in its name.
- "...set the dining room dimmer to 70 percent".
Additional items can be controlled if they're plugged into an Enercare Smarter Home Smart Socket. First, wake the Smart Speaker by saying either "Okay Google, ask Alarm.com to..." or "Alexa, ask Alarm.com to..." followed by the command. Example commands include:
- "...turn off the kitchen plug".
- "...turn off the bathroom socket".
- "...turn off the hair straightener".
Additional information about Enercare Smarter Home can be found here.