Submetering Energy & Water Reporting Masthead
Your one stop to meet Ontario’s energy and water reporting requirements

We’ll manage reporting so you don’t have to.


Effective July 2018, the Government of Ontario requires certain large buildings to report their energy and water use every year. As a turnkey sub-metering provider, we’ve extended our services to manage this reporting so that you don’t have to.

Partner with us for:

  • End-to-end management of utility and building data collection, verification, and reporting
  • Single building or portfolio-wide reporting service management of the online reporting tool, ENERGY STAR® Portfolio Manager®
  • Peace of mind without additional administrative responsibilities

Enercare’s Reporting Service

We’ve built our reputation around delivering exceptional client service – as a reporting service subscriber, you will receive:1

Initial Service Setup

  • Utility and building information will be collected and verified
  • An ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager account will be created and managed by a dedicated resource at Enercare
  • We will collect water, electricity, gas, and/or fuel usage data from the local utility on your behalf
  • We will work directly with the Ministry of Energy to set up properties for reporting

Ongoing Reporting and Data Verification

  • Consumption data will be gathered and stored centrally by Enercare and uploaded to the ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager on an annual basis
  • Data will be verified by a certified engineer to meet regulatory requirements
  • Enercare will keep you informed on your reporting status and of any changes to the regulatory environment

Beyond Compliance: Getting the Most Out of Your Reporting Service

Benchmarking can be a powerful tool for maximizing efficiency of your building operations. Interested in going beyond compliance reporting? Ask how we can help.

1 877-513-5133 |

About Regulation 506/18

In December 2018, the Government of Ontario passed Regulation 506/18: Reporting of Energy Consumption and Water Use. Certain commercial, industrial and multi-residential buildings 50,000 sq. ft. or larger are required to report energy and water use and other property details annually.

Reporting Requirements

  • Keep up-to-date building information such as property identification information, property use details, and gross floor area
  • Report consumption amounts for water, electricity, gas and fuel usage
  • Conduct an independent audit to verify building information and consumption every 5 years
  • Report through the ENERGY STAR® Portfolio Manager®, an interactive tool managed by Natural Resources Canada

Are you required to report?

Reporting is required if you have a:

  • Commercial or industrial building or a multi-residential building with more than 10 units; and
  • The building is 50,000 sq. ft. or larger

You are exempt from reporting if your building is any of the following:2

  • Occupied by public agency (>50% of building3)
  • Occupied by data centre, TV studio or trading floor (>10% of building3)
  • Occupied by processing facilities for manufacturing, commercial, agricultural or industrial processing (>10% of building3)
  • Newly constructed with a certificate of occupancy issued in the applicable reporting year

Reporting Deadlines

Deadline Reporting On Commercial and Industrial Buildings Multi-residential Buildings

July 1, 2018


≥ 250,000 sq. ft.

Not required

July 1, 2019


≥ 100,000 sq. ft.

≥ 100,000 sq. ft.

July 1, 2020


≥ 50,000 sq. ft.

≥ 50,000 sq. ft.

1 877-513-5133 |


Customer Rating of 4.3 based on 6385 Google reviews

Need more details? Read the fine print.

Certain terms and conditions apply.

The following is not an exhaustive list of exemptions. Please consult Ontario Regulation 506/18 or contact us for more details.

The percentage of space occupied in a building is measured by square footage.

® The ENERGY STAR® Portfolio Manager® mark is administered and promoted in Canada by Natural Resources Canada.

Speak with an Account Manager

Interested in sub-metering your building? Please complete this form and an Account Manager will contact you to discuss your needs.

All fields are required unless marked optional

Tell us about any other details relevant to the project, for example, if your building is electrically heated.