If you see a downed power line. Remember these simple but important tips:
1. Keep your distance
- Never touch it with your hand or any other object, under any circumstance.
- Stay at least 15 yards away from a downed power line or other damaged facility.
- Remember the voltage on the ground is highest in the area immediately around the electrical source and decreases with distance. Walking over the area can cause a fatal shock.
2. If you feel a tingling sensation
- Stop immediately, place your feet together and shuffle or hop out of the area without touching anything with your hands.
3. If you are driving a vehicle that touches a downed power line
- You are generally safe as long as you stay in the vehicle.
- Others outside the vehicle are safe if they stay back at least 15 yards.
4. If you are able to drive
- Slowly move at least 15 yards clear of the downed power line and any pools of water.
5. If you are unable to drive the vehicle
- Stay inside until the electric utility company arrives to help.
6. If you must leave the vehicle due to immediate danger (such as a vehicle fire)
- Jump out of the vehicle with your feet together. Avoid touching the car and the ground at the same time.
- Shuffle or hop away to a safe distance, at least 15 yards from the vehicle.
Enercare | Stay Clear of Power Lines