Published: October 13, 2015
1. Expiration of the Ontario Clean Energy Benefit
The Ontario Clean Energy Benefit (OCEB) has provided a 10% rebate on eligible electricity costs since January 2011. The program is scheduled to end on December 31, 2015. Starting January 1, 2016, clients and customers of Enercare Connections will no longer see the OCEB line item on their bills except in circumstances where the bill includes charges for electricity consumed prior to January 1, 2016.
2. Debt Retirement Charge (DRC) exemption for certain residential electricity bills and bulk bill accounts for multi-residential buildings
The Debt Retirement Charge (DRC) is being removed from certain residential electricity bills effective January 1, 2016. Commercial accounts, such as bulk bill accounts for multi-residential buildings, with at least one “eligible residential unit”, are also eligible for the DRC exemption.
In order for sub-metered residents to receive the DRC exemption, the building owner or operator must submit a Debt Retirement Charge Self Declaration Form to the local distribution company (LDC). The LDC will calculate the DRC exemption based on the form which will become effective January 1, 2016, or following receipt of the form, whichever is later.
Eligible commercial accounts will receive an exemption to pay the DRC on their bulk bills equal to the lesser of:
- The amount of the user’s consumption of electricity; and
- 1,500 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of electricity multiplied by the number of eligible residential units specified in the form.
Commercial accounts have to include at least one “eligible residential unit” to qualify for the DRC exemption. An “eligible residential unit” is defined as:
- A self-contained set of rooms located in a building or structure;
- Contains kitchen and bathroom facilities that are intended for the use of the unit only; and
- Is used or intended for use as residential premises.
We're here to help
To make navigating through this process easier, our Client Managers will be assisting building owners and operators to submit the DRC Self Declaration Forms to each LDC. Learn about the submission process and access the forms or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get started.
Enercare | Regulatory Changes Affecting Electricity Billing