January 24, 2018
Plumbing hints and tips that save
Plumbing is intimidating! Read these tips to keep your home flowing well.
1. Turn off those taps
- If you turn your tap off all the way and it continues to leak, have it repaired or replaced.
- Investing in plumbing maintenance early can help you save money in the long run.
2. Go for low-flow
- A 10 minute shower with a conventional shower head can use up to 42 gallons of water.
- Low-flow shower heads are easy to install and use less water.
3. Don't neglect your drains
- Use strainers in the sink and bathtub drains to keep hair and soap out of your pipes.
- Avoid using harsh chemical drain cleaners. They are harmful to the environment and your pipes.
4. Keep fats and oil out of your drains
- When grease cools, it solidifies and sticks to the insides of your pipes. Over time, it will build up and block the entire pipe.
5. Check your toilet for leaks
- To test for leaks, drop some food colouring into the tank. If the colour seeps into the toilet bowl within 10 to 15 minutes, there may be a leak.
6. Don’t flush dental floss
- Today's dental floss is shed-resistant and won't break down.
- When it enters the sewage system, it bonds with other waste and forms large clumps that block pipes.
7. Keep hair out of the toilet
- Avoid flushing hair to help avoid a backed up toilet.