Air Conditioner Maintenance Tips
JANUARY 24, 2018
There can be a lot of ways to increase the efficiency of your AC unit. Find out more by reading this.
With our summers being hot and sticky, it is important to ensure your air conditioner is running as efficiently and effectively as possible. Here’s what you can do to beat the heat and to ensure your equipment runs at its best.
1. Get your air conditioner inspected at the beginning of the season.
Bringing in the pros for an AC inspection at least once a year will give you the confidence that it’s in good working order before you need to turn it on. Remember, failing to maintain your equipment can shorten its lifespan and possibly lead to premature failure.
2. Clean or replace furnace filters.
Clean or replace furnace filters every three months, even in the warmer weather. Clogged filters mean that your furnace motor will potentially work harder and use more energy.
3. Clear area around condenser unit.
With most air conditioning systems, the condenser unit is located outside the home and is prone to accumulate debris in the area surrounding it. Remove debris and cut any grass or weeds around the unit that could be obstructing airflow from the condenser fan.
Consider these additional cooling tips:
- Ensure you remove the winter cover from the air conditioning unit before you turn it on for the first time. Leaving the cover on could lead to much bigger problems. The outdoor unit needs to release warm air. If unable to, it can overheat and potentially breakdown.
- Reverse the direction of ceiling fans so that they spin counter clockwise blowing straight air down. This will help redistribute the warm air trapped near the ceiling making the room feel cooler.
- Close blinds and drapes on all south and west-facing windows when leaving the house during the day. This really helps to keep the home cool, minimize the amount of time your air conditioner actually comes on when you are not home and, can help reduce your energy bills.
Advanced AC maintenance and repairs can be dangerous and are best left to professionals. Enercare has more than 700 licensed technicians who know air conditioning like the back of their hand. Get in touch with us to schedule a maintenance appointment or sign up for our AC maintenance plan.