Setting up location services
JULY 25, 2018
With location services, you can create rules and alerts based on your GPS location. For example, have your Enercare Smarter Home Lock automatically open when you are within range of your home.
To do this, you just need to set up a geo-fence. A geo-fence is a virtual geographical boundary that is set up around your home address to allow you to create rules and alerts based on the GPS location of one or more smartphones. You may enable this feature at any time through the Enercare Smarter Home Portal or the mobile app. Here’s how to get started:
How to set up a geo-fence:
- Log into the Enercare Smarter Home Portal.
- From your account homepage, click "Settings" in the left side panel.
- Click "Geo-Services".
- Click "Add a Fence".
- Complete the following fields:
Move fence location to:
Enter the address where the geo-fence is to be located and click the arrow button.
· Alternatively, click and drag on the map marker to move the geo-fence to the desired location.
· Use the +/- buttons on the map to zoom in/out.
Example: 123 Avenue, Town, Ontario
Enter a name for the geo-fence.
Enter the desired radius for the geo-fence.
· Alternatively, click and drag the anchors on the map to expand or decrease the desired radius.
· The minimum radius is 3km and the maximum radius is 150km.
- Click "Save".
To set up a geo-fence rule or alert, click on the appropriate "Geo-Feature".
Select the appropriate options you would like to enable for the rule/alert and click "Save".
If required, repeat Steps 9-13 to set up additional geo-fences.
Please note if there is more than one geo device attached to this account, all devices must enter or exit the geo fence before the action will take place
To setup using your mobile device:
- Log into the Enercare Smarter Home mobile app on your smartphone.
- Click the "Menu" button in the top left corner and scroll down.
- Click "Geo-Services".
Move the "Geo-Services" slider to the right to turn on.
A pop-up will appear asking for you to confirm. Click "Turn On" (Android) or "Enable" (iPhone).
For iPhone users, a message may appear asking for permission to access your location. Select "Always Allow".
For Android, a message will appear indicating that Geo-Services has been enabled successfully
Please note if you have location services turned off on your smartphone for privacy reasons, the geo-fencing function will not work on the Enercare Smarter Home app.