3 ways to improve energy efficiency at home
JANUARY 23, 2018
Check out these tips in order to make your house the best home that it can be.
1. Adjust the temperature
- Set your thermostat to 20°C (68°F) or lower in winter and 25.6°C (78°F) or higher in summer to use less energy. Adjusting the temperature further during the night will save even more money.
- Natural sunlight also helps your home’s energy efficiency. Open curtains to let in sunlight during the winter and close curtains to keep it out in the summer.
- Set your water heater to between 43°C (110°F) to 49°C (120°F).
2. Unplug electronics when not in use
- Unplug rarely used appliances like basement or garage refrigerators when not in use.
- Unplug chargers for phones, tablets, and digital cameras when not in use.
- Turn off power strips when not in use. Even the standby mode can use as much energy as a 75 or 100 watt bulb run consistently.
3. Think energy efficiency when using appliances
- Check the seals on the refrigerator door to ensure it is tightly sealed and secure. Keep the door closed as much as possible.
- Clean the lint filter in the dryer.
- Only run the dishwasher and washing machine with a full load.
- Invest in ENERGY STAR® appliances when it is time to purchase new appliances.