January 23, 2018
3 ways to improve energy efficiency at home
Check out these tips in order to make your house the best home that it can be.
1. Adjust the temperature
- Set your thermostat to 20°C (68°F) or lower in winter and 25.6°C (78°F) or higher in summer to use less energy. Adjusting the temperature further during the night will save even more money.
- Natural sunlight also helps your home’s energy efficiency. Open curtains to let in sunlight during the winter and close curtains to keep it out in the summer.
- Set your water heater to between 43°C (110°F) to 49°C (120°F).
2. Unplug electronics when not in use
- Unplug rarely used appliances like basement or garage refrigerators when not in use.
- Unplug chargers for phones, tablets, and digital cameras when not in use.
- Turn off power strips when not in use. Even the standby mode can use as much energy as a 75 or 100 watt bulb run consistently.
3. Think energy efficiency when using appliances
- Check the seals on the refrigerator door to ensure it is tightly sealed and secure. Keep the door closed as much as possible.
- Clean the lint filter in the dryer.
- Only run the dishwasher and washing machine with a full load.
- Invest in ENERGY STAR® appliances when it is time to purchase new appliances.