January 23, 2018
7 green living tips you can apply at home
The tips that you need to save energy and money.
1. Pursue ENERGY STAR® options
- Replace outdated appliances or electronics with ENERGY STAR® models and start saving.
- Switch your light bulbs with ENERGY STAR® bulbs and save up to $30 - $80 over the lifetime of each bulb.
2. Create less waste
- Buy a durable water bottle to refill instead of plastic bottled water.
- Use inexpensive tote bags for shopping instead of plastic bags that will be thrown away.
3. Manage light usage
- Turn off the lights when a room is not in use.
- Open the curtains to welcome sunlight during the day.
- Try to go as long as possible in the evening before finally turning the lights on.
4. Embrace cooler water
- Set your water heater to between 43℃ (110℉) to 49℃ (120℉).
- Use cold water rather than hot when doing laundry.
5. Eliminate useless energy waste
- Look for leaky faucets that need to be fixed.
- Unplug electronics and chargers when not in use.
- Shut off computers completely instead of using sleep mode.
6. Find alternatives to throwing away
- Before throwing anything away, see if you can recycle, donate or even sell it.
- Re-purpose if you can (for example, turning a jar into a flower pot or a tire into a swing).
7. Choose cloth over paper
- Use cloth towels for cleaning, cloth napkins at meals, and cloth diapers.
- Repurpose old t-shirts as cleaning rags.