January 23, 2018
Top 22 energy efficiency tips
Check out this huge list of energy-saving tips to keep your family comfortable and your energy bill down.
Heating and cooling
1. In summer, use fans and keep doors, windows, and shades closed during the day to reduce any unwanted heat from coming in.
2. In winter, open blinds and drapes to let the sun warm your space.
3. Use your ceiling fan instead of the thermostat to lower the temperature.
4. Adjust the thermostat in small degree changes. Your home won't heat or cool faster by cranking it up.
5. Install a programmable thermostat to automatically adjust the temperature to your schedule.
Appliances and electronics
6. Wash your clothes in cold water. About 90% of the energy used by washing machines goes to heating the water.
7. Use your microwave instead of your stove when cooking to use two-thirds less energy.
8. Don't open the oven door while baking. Each time, the temperature can drop up to 13.8°C (25°F) and requires additional energy to bring it back up.
9. Turn off the oven 10-15 minutes before cooking time runs out. Your food will continue to cook without using the extra electricity.
10. Keep your refrigerator and freezer as full as possible to operate efficiently.
11. Use dishwashers and washers/dryers in off-peak hours to keep the house cooler.
12. Don't run bathroom or kitchen ventilation fans longer than necessary. They replace inside air with outside air.
13. Turn on your computer, monitor, printer, and fax machine only when needed.
14. Don't leave your mobile phone plugged in overnight, it only takes a couple of hours to charge.
15. Avoid placing objects that give off heat (for example, lamps or TVs) near a thermostat.
16. Use desktop lamps with high-efficiency lightbulbs.
17. Open curtains and shades during the day to let in the natural light instead of using lighting.
18. Use a photocell or a timer on your outdoor lights for dusk-to-dawn only operation.
19. Turn off the lights when they're not in use and save up to 15% on your utility bill.
Home maintenance and improvements
20. Clean or replace all filters in your home once a month.
21. Seal cracks, gaps, leaks and add insulation to save up to 20% on heating and cooling costs.
22. Replace single-pane windows with more energy efficient ones, and/or add solar shades or tinting film.