Did you know that delaying an upgrade from a low to high efficiency boiler is the equivalent of having a 21.8 inch hole in your wall8 … every time you heat your home?
We’ve been maintaining, repairing and installing boilers for over 50 years and understand that every home has different heating requirements. Let us assist you in choosing the best boiler for your home considering all the factors.
Our Energy Management Consultants will come to your home to complete a thorough home assessment and detailed heat loss calculation to see what boiler size is best suited for your home and discuss feasible rental or purchase options.
Signs You May Need A New Boiler
While the average lifespan of a boiler is about 15-20 years, it’s important be aware of the replacement warning signs before it’s too late.
Telltale signs that your boiler might need replacing:
- It does not have an ENERGY STAR® label on it. Boilers with an ENERGY STAR® label can save up to 20% on heating costs1 and (if fueled by gas or oil) use 12% less energy on average than a standard model.2
- Your equipment needs frequent repairs and your energy bills are going up.
- Some rooms in your home are too hot or too cold. This is a sign that heat is not being evenly distributed and your equipment is not working as efficiently as it should.
- Your boiler is creating excessive noise.
- Moving from a low to a high-efficiency boiler.
Choosing the Right Boiler
Let’s be honest. Nobody wants to replace something that’s not broken..even if it is old, right? Although that may be true, your boiler may not be working as efficiently as it should and keeping it could ultimately cost you more money in the long run.
Did you know:
a. Moving from a low to a high-efficiency boiler is like closing a 21.8 inch hole in your wall8
b. Moving from a mid to a high-efficiency boiler is like closing a 13.5 inch hole in your wall8
We understand that choosing a new boiler can seem overwhelming. That’s why we’ve highlighted some key factors to consider to help guide your steps along the way.
Things to consider when choosing a new boiler:
System Type - Boilers supply heat to your home either through hot water or steam.
Fuel Type - Common fuel types include oil, natural gas, propane, electricity or wood. Consider what you will need to fuel your boiler.
Boiler Size - Bigger isn’t always better. The size of a boiler will determine how well it produces heat/hot water. Improper sizing of your boiler can make your unit run less efficiently and wear out prematurely. To identify your sizing needs, our EMCs will perform a detailed heat loss calculation to determine your best options. Combi boilers are a great space saving option because of their compact size.
Venting Method - Gas and oil powered units are especially dependent on a home’s ventilation system. Chimney vented boilers vent exhaust naturally through a chimney whereas power vent and direct vent boilers use fans to push exhaust through vent pipes and can be vented through a roof or a side wall. Condensing boilers are among the most efficient and are excellent options when considering long term cost. However, these units have special venting requirements due to the condensate they produce.3
Efficiency - A boiler’s efficiency rating is dependent on how much fuel is wasted and how much fuel is used to produce a specific amount of heat. This is measured by something called the Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency Rating (A.F.U.E.). Boilers with an A.F.U.E. rating of 85% or higher are considered to be high efficiency. Units with an ENERGY STAR® label are tested to meet strict efficiency specifications and are certified by an independent third party. They perform the same as or better than standard products without compromising performance in any way.2
Types of Boilers:
1. Conventional Boiler
What it does:
- Provides heat throughout home
- Heats your central heating system directly
- Hot water can be stored for later use
- Ideal for larger homes that have more than one bathroom
- Heats on demand
- Provides basic heating
2. System Boiler
What it does:
- Provides heat throughout home
- Heats your central heating system directly but has more components built in making for easier installation
- Can be stored in smaller space
- Provides improved efficiency
- Ideal for homes that have more than one bathroom
- Quick response time uses less energy and saves more money
- Provides basic heating
3. Combination (Combi) Boiler
What it does:
- Provides heat throughout home as well as hot water supply
- Heats water as you need it and eliminates the need for a storage tank
Acts as both a high-efficiency water heater as well as a central heating boiler and can be stored in smaller space
Can provide in floor heating in multiple zones
- Ideal for home with 1-2 people or a smaller home with one bathroom
- Smaller space required for installation
- Frees up chimney
Note: Both combi and heat-only boilers can be either condensing or non-condensing. A non-condensing boiler will typically take air in from inside the room, whereas a condensing boiler will be fully sealed and takes in air directly from the outside.
Did you know that you may be eligible to receive a rebate from your utility provider?
Don’t know if you should buy or rent a new boiler? Here are some considerations to keep in mind to help you weigh out your options:
|Benefits of Renting Boiler with Enercare||Considerations if Buying a Boiler|
|Industry-leading installation guarantees5||Installation/venting upgrade fees: oftentimes you will need to source your own licensed technician to install your new boiler and pay more for additional venting if required|
|FREE no-obligation, in-home estimate||Diagnostic charges: what happens when something goes wrong? How much will you pay just to get someone to your home? How soon can they arrive?|
|Fully insured and licensed - WSIB, TSSA, ESA||Uncertainty of quality work|
|Zero up-front costs6||Initial cost of unit: large down payment/full payment required|
|Zero parts and labour charge for all repairs6||Parts and labour costs: are you prepared to pay hundreds of dollars when a breakdown happens?|
|Affordable monthly payments on your Enbridge bill7|
|Same Day Service†|
|Transferable monthly rental charge to new homeowners|
|Red carpet treatment - no dirt and debris tracked in|
|24/7/365 call centre to assist you|
|Flexible and low monthly payment options|
|We secure all required permits|
* Requires a minimum purchase of $1,000 (incl. taxes) of eligible HVAC equipment from Enercare Home and Commercial Services Limited Partnership ("Enercare"), subject to credit approval. Offer excludes Value series. Cannot be combined with any other Enercare offer. No payments for 14 months after installation. No interest if financed amount is fully paid within 14 months, after which interest accrues in accordance with the Enercare Finance Agreement. A $90 administration fee will apply. Representative finance agreement for a Carrier 59SC5A060S17-14 furnace: cash price of $5,690 plus HST; annual interest rate of 17.50% over 60 months, or an effective annual percentage rate (APR) of 11.84%; monthly payment is $161.53 and cost of borrowing (incl. administration fee) is $3,352.10. Offer expires Dec. 31, 2018.
**1 A $500 discount will be applied to the purchase from Enercare of an Amana AMVM97 furnace – 97% efficiency. A $300 Enercare Prepaid Mastercard ® will be issued upon the new rental of any natural gas water heater model (or $100 Prepaid Mastercard for any electric water heater model) from Enercare. Cannot be combined with any other Enercare furnace or water heater offer. Terms and conditions apply, contact Enercare for details. Enercare offers expire Dec. 31, 2018. The Prepaid Mastercard is issued in connection with a loyalty, award or promotion program. This card is issued by Peoples Trust Company pursuant to a license by Mastercard International Incorporated. ®/TM Mastercard is a registered trademark, and the circles design is a trademark of Mastercard International Incorporated. No cash access or recurring payments. Card valid for up to 6 months; unused funds will be forfeited at midnight EST the last day of the month of the valid thru date. Card terms and conditions apply, see MyPrepaidCenter.com/site/Mastercard-univ-can. Card will be delivered 6-8 weeks after installation.
2 Customers may qualify for up to $1,850 in rebates from Enbridge Gas Distribution ("Enbridge") or Union Gas Limited ("Union Gas"). Customers must qualify for the Enbridge or Union Gas rebates, including completing two energy audits and at least two eligible upgrades or renovations. Visit enbridgesmartsavings.com or uniongas.com for details. Customers may also qualify for a $250 rebate from The Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO). Customers must qualify for the IESO rebate, including installing a high-efficiency furnace equipped with an electronically commutated motor (ECM). Visit saveonenergy.ca for details. Enbridge, Union Gas and IESO offers may be subject to change or cancellation without notice at any time.
Together with you, we’ll work through the best solution for your home
Reach out to arrange a convenient and free in-home visit. We'll call you within 24 hours to confirm.
All fields are required unless marked optional